Since 1996, Roaring Fork Conservancy has inspired people to explore, value, and protect the Roaring Fork Watershed. We fulfill this mission via Watershed Action - which includes research on rivers, watershed restoration projects, and engaging with local stakeholders to affect water policy - and Watershed Education – both with school children, families, and adult-focused educational programming.
Roaring Fork Conservancy is looking for an experienced educator to join our team of educators, who will help provide watershed education to students within the Roaring Fork Valley (from Aspen to Glenwood Springs) both in the classroom and in outdoor/field settings.
This seasonal position is responsible for teaching water and river-related educational programming as part of Roaring Fork Conservancy’s Watershed Education program. The majority of classes are taught on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Lesson plans are provided for all programs. Watershed Educators must be available from late March through May, and September through early November, between the hours of 7:30 am - 3:30 pm. Programs are rarely the full duration of that time, but generally occur between those times. There may be opportunities to increase hours during the summer months.
- Teach a wide variety of watershed education programs to K-12 students in both classroom and outdoor settings.
- Coordinate with Roaring Fork Conservancy educators and school teachers regarding which programs will be taught on what days and times.
- Assemble all materials needed to carry out programs and coordinate materials with concurrent programs.
- Assist with various education projects.
- Assist with organizational events which may include occasional evenings or weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, science, environmental studies, education, or similar field.
- At least two years of experience teaching environmental education, classroom teaching and/or teaching in a non-formal setting (i.e. museum, national/state park, outdoor education, etc.).
- Currently certified in First Aid and CPR (preferred).
- Must have reliable vehicle for transportation to and from each teaching location.
Salary: $15 per hour and mileage reimbursement per current IRS rate.